|Shares Out. (in M):||51||P/E||6.3x||6.4x|
|Market Cap (in $M):||897||P/FCF||6.3x||6.4x|
|Net Debt (in $M):||166||EBIT||0||0|
Sign up for free guest access to view investment idea with a 45 days delay.
EZ Pawn has been written up three times (on VIC) in the last decade, and has performed exceptionally. If there was ever an industry in the US that is part of the Wild West it is “Alternate Financial Services”. EZPW provides an excellent example of a great business, that 10 years ago had an amateur management team. Under the leadership of then CEO Joe Rotunda they brought process and focus to the business fixing the near term issues that the company had, while implementing a strategy for domestic growth, and most recently a strategy for revenue diversification.
The company is a leader in a space that is highly fragmented in the US, and is just beginning its international growth trajectory. Frankly the growth opportunities remind me of Starbucks 15-20 years ago.
The stock is down almost 50% over the last year, and dropped almost 20% from its recent earnings call. The whole sell side has gone negative. I think this is a classic run for the hills on a growth/momentum stock that both has dropped its multiple and earnings in the short-term but offers an excellent and safe 2-3X if you are willing to wait out the storm.
We think the stock is down for three fundamental reasons
1) Growth has slowed
2) Revenue and earnings were guided down to flat for next year as the company makes investments for future growth
3) Democrats and Elizabeth Warren did well in the election, creating an uncertain regulatory back drop.
We think that not only has the market over reacted to these issues but they are transient in nature, creating a classic value play.
I can point you to the previous write-ups (or presentation below) to get a general flavor but as the company describes it they help consumers do 3 things
1) Sell . You have merchandise that you want to convert into cash. They will give you a bid on it. Lots of reality TV shows on the History channel if you want to get an idea of how pawn shops work. But generally they have only a few categories of merchandise. Jewelry, musical instruments, Tools, DVD/Video games, and TV’s and other common electronic equipment. The common theme, is through eBay and other channels all these items have a pretty predictable resale value. They bid 25-50% of that.
2) Buy. Like a classic market maker they let consumers buy merchandise they place into inventory from the above category. They also place inventory from forfeited collateral from loans (below)
3) Borrow: Everyone needs credit, especially low income folks. When you are thin file with no credit file your options are limited. EZ provides this demographics with options for unsecured credit, and secured credit by pledging their cars, and also items (Pawn Loans). These carry high fees, and high returns on capital, with relatively low risk. If folks default they repossess the collateral and move to monetize. Since they have conservative LTV ratios the rarely lose a lot of money in the aggregate.
They have grown quickly in the US by both acquisition and de novo growth. The industry is still highly fragmented with over 15,000 outlets. So plenty of consolidation opportunities in the US. But the company has been very smart and if you think the US is wild and virgin then wait until you get to Mexico where credit is even more limited. The company has moved into establishing a beach head in Canada and Mexico, and has acquired meaningful stakes of publically traded operators in the UK and Australia. They own 30% of the leading Pawn shop in the UK. All said and done now 20% of their business comes from outside of the US. The Mexican market alone offers even higher ROIC (30%) than the US, and we think has at least 10-15 years of unabated growth.
What we like:
Let’s look at the balance sheet:
Not much to note here except it is trading close to book (when including goodwill), and about 2X tangible book. More importantly is only 75 mm of net recourse leverage here. The long-term debt of 90 mm is recourse only to the Mexican Sub. Even still it would be low leverage. This is an earning and operating scale, growth story not a balance sheet one. But its good to see a safe capital structure so they can execute on the operating side with plenty of runway.
2012 Revenue $992 mm
Net Income: $143.7mm
EPS for the year was $2.81
For 2013 they project range of EPS $2.55-$2.90 which is obviously flat to down which no one liked, but it is driven by the fact that they intend to triple the de novo store openings worldwide which we should see come through in 2014 earnings or even the back half of 2013.
Let’s assume the low end of their range $2.55. They have historically guided very conservatively.
On a 2013 forward basis they trade at
2013 P/E $17.80/2.55 = 7X
On 2012 numbers it is even cheaper
2012 P/E $17.80/2.81 = 6.3X
I think a business with these kinds of returns and growth opportunities deserves at least a 12X multiple which in$ 3.00 of earning 18-24 months out is a double. With some upside on both earning and multiple over that time you could easily see more than 2X return.
Investing in EZPW gives you a low-risk way to get a 2-3X return over the next 3-5+ years. You get to invest in an excellent business (20%+ ROIC). Managed by an excellent team, with a history of positive shareholder stewardship (for the most part). And you get the growth in the business for “free”, all with a balance sheet free from recourse obligations.
It is rare to be able to invest in a great business, at a reasonable valuation that has the opportunity to re-deploy capital into the business at the same or better ROIC for extended periods of time.
Check out an old preso here. Really worth looking at. Check out slide 11
What we don’t like/risk:
|show sort by|
Are you sure you want to close this position EZCORP INC -CL A?
By closing position, I’m notifying VIC Members that at today’s market price, I no longer am recommending this position.
Are you sure you want to Flag this idea EZCORP INC -CL A for removal?
Flagging an idea indicates that the idea does not meet the standards of the club and you believe it should be removed from the site. Once a threshold has been reached the idea will be removed.
You currently do not have message posting privilages, there are 1 way you can get the privilage.
Apply for or reactivate your full membership
You can apply for full membership by submitting an investment idea of your own. Or if you are in reactivation status, you need to reactivate your full membership.
What is wrong with message, "".